Better Living with a Pirate ~ Recipe by Amanda

King Cake
EASY KING CAKE RECIPE Link: 
https://sites.google.com/view/betterlivingideas/recipes-more/february-recipes
 The name “King Cake” comes from the Biblical story of the three kings who bring gifts to Baby Jesus on the 12th day.... January 6, which is known as Three Kings' Day, Twelfth Night, or the Epiphany...and is eaten up until Mardi Gras also known as Fat Tuesday. 

This year Fat Tuesday is February 21, 2023 (Fat Tuesday is also known as Shove Tuesday  and it's a day for all kinds of traditional Mardi Gras food!)  Some call Fat Tuesday, Shrove Tuesday. 


Shrove Tuesday is the same observance as Mardi Gras in that observers eat richer, fattier foods as a last indulgence before Lent begins. For those who observe Shrove Tuesday instead of an entire Mardi Gras season, that richer, fattier food is pancakes. 


Shrove Tuesday or Pancake Tuesday is the day before Ash Wednesday (the first day of Lent), observed in many Christian countries through participating in confession and absolution, the ritual burning of the previous year's Holy Week palms, finalizing one's Lenten sacrifice, 

as well as eating pancakes and other sweets.  


King Cake  is traditionally round like a crown. It is a blend of coffee cake  and cinnamon roll, and is frequently packed with fruit fillings  or decadent cream cheeses, a small baby or bean, 

and  Iced in  yellow, green and purple the colors of Mardi Gras!


Green is the color of Trust

Purple is the color of Power

Yellow is the color of Justice


So, according to legend, the person who gets the slice of king cake with the baby/bean inside is considered lucky.  They’ll also be in charge of hosting and providing their own king cake for next year’s festivities. 

Comments

My photo
Amanda "Mimsy" Hudson
I go by many names...Amanda by my friends & family, Mom/Mommy by my beautiful children, Momma Manda by the amazing children who became family by love, Mimsy by my wonderful grandchildren, and Babe by the love of my life for over 30 years...my Hunnie! YES...he is a PIRATE, an ECU PIRATE! I tell people that my heart beats outside my body...you can see it when you see my large blended family! Together we have 5 grown amazing children & their wonderful spouses/significant others, 6 beautiful grandchildren, and many pets between us all. These numbers have potential to grow!! We have gone through many phases of life...from marriage to babies to grown adults. I kid sometimes that I don't know what I loved/love more: the Controlled Chaos of raising our children or the Purging our Empty Nest. I created this blog and my website because I have been asked to share my ideas, recipes & links for Better Living. We have been blessed and hope to share blessings with others. God is the source of my strength...Praising Him everyday for His blessings over me & my loved ones!