MOSQUITO DIY NATURAL REPELLANTS

Summer is Coming...so are the Mosquitos!

Image result

Love your yard but hate the mosquitos???

There are several ways to get rid of mosquitoes:  

MOST IMPORTANT

Get rid of stagnant water: Mosquitoes breed in stagnant water. Make sure to remove any stagnant water around your home, including in flower pots, bird baths, and other containers.

ADDITIONAL OPTIONS:

  1. Install mosquito nets: Installing mosquito nets on windows and doors can prevent mosquitoes from entering your house. You can also use a mosquito net while sleeping to avoid getting bitten.

  2. Use mosquito traps: Mosquito traps use a combination of light, heat, and CO2 to attract and trap mosquitoes. These can be effective in reducing mosquito populations.

  3. Use mosquito repellents/sprays: Mosquito repellents/sprays are available in the form of aerosols, foggers, sprays, lotions, and creams. However, these can contain chemicals that repel mosquitoes and keep them away from your home and yard.

OR...Use NATURAL REPELLANTS: Certain natural repellents, such as citronella, eucalyptus, and lavender, can help repel mosquitoes. You can use candles or essential oils containing these natural repellents...Or plant Repellant plants around your yard like Mint, Lemongrass, Lavender, and many more.


What Smell do Mosquitoes Hate? 

Mosquitoes are turned off by several natural scents: Cinnamon, Peppermint, Cedar, Citronella, Lemongrass, Patchouli, Catnip, Lavender, and more.

Find a favorite, and use it when you want to spend time outside.


DIY Homemade Mosquito Repellent

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup of witch hazel

  • 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar

  • 30-40 drops of essential oil (citronella, lavender, peppermint, eucalyptus, or a combination)

Instructions:

  1. Combine the witch hazel and apple cider vinegar in a spray bottle.

  2. Add in 30-40 drops of essential oil (or more if desired).

  3. Shake well to combine.

  4. Spray onto skin and clothes as needed to repel mosquitoes.

*You can also use this mixture as a room spray to keep mosquitoes away indoors. Just spray it around the room and allow it to settle for a few minutes before entering.

*Note: Essential oils can be irritating to some people's skin, so it's a good idea to do a patch test before applying the spray all over. Also, remember to reapply the repellent every few hours for maximum effectiveness.


Need a Quick fix? 

Does Vicks Vapor Rub work for mosquito repellent? YES!

You don’t have to rub it all over, just apply small dabs on your ankles, wrists, neck, inner elbows, knees and behind your ears. The smell of the menthol in it will repel the insects away. You can also rub it on any mosquito bites you may already have and it will relieve the itching.




Homemade Mosquito Spray for your YARD!

Paul Harvey's Mosquito Yard Spray

3 cups of Epsom Salt 

1 Bottle of Blue Mint Mouthwash 

3 bottles (12 oz) of Stale Beer

...(buy the cheapest – it works as well)

Mix this up and make sure the salt dissolves. 

Put in your Sprayer and spray your flower beds and around the patio

It works great and for a long time...up to 60 DAYS!

...I'm not saying heavy rains won't require a re-application, but it does work for quite awhile.


Need a Quick fix? 

If you are working in the yard or just pulling weeds, just put Regular Listerine in a hand sprayer and spray ahead of where you are working, you can watch them move away from you.


Follow me on my website: :Amanda's Better Living Ideas & Links

https://sites.google.com/view/betterlivingideas/blog-better-living-with-a-pirate/diy-mosquito-repellant




Comments

My photo
Amanda "Mimsy" Hudson
I go by many names...Amanda by my friends & family, Mom/Mommy by my beautiful children, Momma Manda by the amazing children who became family by love, Mimsy by my wonderful grandchildren, and Babe by the love of my life for over 30 years...my Hunnie! YES...he is a PIRATE, an ECU PIRATE! I tell people that my heart beats outside my body...you can see it when you see my large blended family! Together we have 5 grown amazing children & their wonderful spouses/significant others, 6 beautiful grandchildren, and many pets between us all. These numbers have potential to grow!! We have gone through many phases of life...from marriage to babies to grown adults. I kid sometimes that I don't know what I loved/love more: the Controlled Chaos of raising our children or the Purging our Empty Nest. I created this blog and my website because I have been asked to share my ideas, recipes & links for Better Living. We have been blessed and hope to share blessings with others. God is the source of my strength...Praising Him everyday for His blessings over me & my loved ones!