All Natural & Homemade Lifestyle

Do you like to use Natural products but don't think you can afford them??? Well that is a myth...Homemade products are cheaper and just as effective as expensive store bought products!

I won't lie to you and say I use or make all my household products because I do use store bought insect repellants, grass & weed killers, & laundry essentials...more than I should & it's a shame since I know how to make them! 

When the kids were young I would make my detergents and cleaning products...then they became busy and then I became a taxi driving, meal prepping, schedule following mom! It seemed that there was never be enough time to fit everything in so back to the store bought supplies I went.

Well, we are now Empty Nesters...it's a Life Reset...I say it all the time that I don't know what I rather be...then or now??? Since I don't have that choice I am going to bloom where I am planted...enjoying the freedom to re-establish ME! My husband, Perry, says that I have transferred my "Clark Grisswold" personality from the kids life to restructuring our home life...from purging, painting, to landscaping & blogging! He is enjoying the benefits and he works as hard as I do making our home more efficient and updated while trying to save money as well.

So I am headed back to my "ALL NATURAL" products...they are cheap and easy to make and use! Insect Repellant, Grass & Weed Killer, Laundry Detergent, Fragrance Powder...not Beads, Glass Cleaner, Bathroom Cleaner, Dishwasher Powder...and the list goes on!

I will be adding my favorites throughout the months of March & April.

DIY Insect Repellants

6 ESSENTIAL OILS THAT REPEL INSECTS

 · Rosemary · Thyme · Citronella · Sage · Lavender · Peppermint · 


Spring has sprung…well Mother Nature may still be playing with us but warm weather will still come…along with the bugs!

1st…Know Thy Enemy

As soon as we step outside, bugs have a way of finding us. Some use the carbon dioxide that we exhale to locate us, others go by scent, body heat, vibrations, or even the colors we wear. For example, deerflies are attracted to CO2, warmth, motion, and dark colors. One way to make yourself less attractive to insects is to avoid using fragrant soaps, lotions, perfume, hairspray, or aftershave. Instead, use scents that block their receptors, making you harder to find.

  • Mosquitoes hate citronella, lemon eucalyptus, basil, and garlic.

  • Ants and flies dislike mint, basil, and bay.

  • Tiny gnats (such as those hateful No-See-Ums) are repelled by citronella, lemongrass, and rose geranium.

  • Ticks and lice avoid lemon eucalyptus and geranium.

2nd…Words of Caution

  • Be aware that some herbs and oils can be harmful or irritating. Lemon eucalyptus should not be used on children under the age of 3 or on pregnant or nursing mothers.

  • Pregnant women should also avoid pennyroyal.

  • Test any homemade bug spray for possible allergic reactions before using it more liberally.

  • Sprays made with vinegar may sting and smell a bit pickle-y until they dry.

  • Oils may stain clothing.

3rd…Taking Action

  • Create a Homemade Natural Spray to ward off those pests with Essential Oils & a few household items!  Label your mixture with its ingredients and store in a dark-colored bottle or keep in a dark spot to prolong its effectiveness.

  • Plant insect-repelling herbs like lavender, thyme, catnip, mint, basil, and citronella in your yard. Plant them close to the areas where you spend the most time outside. These herbs have many other health benefits too.

  • Grab a handful of lavender flowers (or use lavender oil) and rub onto your skin to repel bugs.

  • Rub fresh or dried leaves of any plant in the mint family onto skin (peppermint, spearmint, catnip, pennyroyal, etc). Citronella and lemongrass also work in herb form.


Some Items you will need:

               

Here are 6 simple homemade bug sprays you can make using essential oils, 

based on your scent preference.  

  1. Pick Your Favorite…my go to is #3!

  2. Equipment

  • 1 Atomizer for smaller quantities or 1 16oz or 32oz  for larger batches…I like the pictured brown one.

  1. Instructions

  1. Pour all of the ingredients into an atomizer or your favorite spray bottle.

  2. Shake Well to combine.

  3. Keep in a cool, dry place & spritz yourself or your desired area & watch those pesky bugs leave!


#1

2 cups witch hazel

½ tsp. lemongrass or citronella oil

1 tbsp apple cider vinegar

#2

1 cup isopropyl alcohol

1 cup water

 ½ tsp. catnip oil

#3

1 cup alcohol or witch hazel 

10-20 drops of essential oils such as lemongrass, peppermint, or lemon eucalyptus (Mix it up!)

#4

1 qt. Vinegar mix w/

½ tsp. Pennyroyal oil

1 tsp. Each:

Lemon oil

Eucalyptus oil

Orange oil

Citronella oil

#5

¼ cup Witch Hazel mix w/ 4 drops  each:


Citronella essential oil


Lemongrass essential oil


Rosemary essential oil


Eucalyptus essential oil


Mint essential oil



#6

1/2 cup witch hazel mix w/ 20 drops each:


Citronella essential oil

Geranium essential oil

Lemongrass essential oil

Peppermint essential oil

Purification essential oil

Thieves essential oil

1 1/2 cups distilled water

Note: some essential oils can be strong enough that they can irritate delicate, sensitive skin, such as children's. 

In this case, it is recommended to spray this bug spray onto clothing instead of the skin itself. 

Comments

My photo
Amanda "Mimsy" Hudson
I go by many names...Amanda by my friends & family, Mom/Mommy by my beautiful children, Momma Manda by the amazing children who became family by love, Mimsy by my wonderful grandchildren, and Babe by the love of my life for over 30 years...my Hunnie! YES...he is a PIRATE, an ECU PIRATE! I tell people that my heart beats outside my body...you can see it when you see my large blended family! Together we have 5 grown amazing children & their wonderful spouses/significant others, 6 beautiful grandchildren, and many pets between us all. These numbers have potential to grow!! We have gone through many phases of life...from marriage to babies to grown adults. I kid sometimes that I don't know what I loved/love more: the Controlled Chaos of raising our children or the Purging our Empty Nest. I created this blog and my website because I have been asked to share my ideas, recipes & links for Better Living. We have been blessed and hope to share blessings with others. God is the source of my strength...Praising Him everyday for His blessings over me & my loved ones!